The Energy Efficiency Certificate

Energy performance certificate BOE Royal Decree 235/2013

Since last June 1, homes for sale or for rent must have an energy performance certificate. Otherwise, the owners can be fined with penalties ranging from 300 to 6,000 euros, according to Royal Decree approved on April 5, which was later completed with several amendments to the bill to reform the rehabilitation . This certificate shall specify a scale of seven letters, from A to G, the level of CO2 emissions compared to the dimensions of the building. Thus, it is intended that the purchaser or tenant can "assess and compare the energy efficiency as an added factor for making decisions to buy or rent."

What does it consist of?

In a building, energy efficiency is calculated by measuring the energy consumed each year in normal use and occupation. To do this takes into account all services routinely used as "heating, cooling, ventilation, domestic hot water and lighting in order to maintain the conditions of thermal and lighting comfort and needs of hot water and indoor air quality. "

Specifically, the indicator captures CO2 kilograms divided by the square meters of housing (kg CO2 / m2 per year). For those with a ratio of emissions below 6.8 kg CO2 / m2 per year it is assigned the letter A, the highest rating. The worst grade (G) is for those properties that exceed 70.9 kg C02 / m2 per year.

What buildings should be certified?

Usually all properties for sale or rent. The legislation includes some exceptions to the buildings must apply for the certificate, although most are not representative of the current housing stock.

For example, it is not mandatory for the apartments leased for less than four months alone buildings with less than 50 sq meters, buildings and protected monuments in which their character or appearance, or religious places of worship, temporary buildings is altered (for less than two years) and the non-residential sector of industrial and agricultural buildings.

Meanwhile, it will be mandatory for all new buildings and when rehabilitation or reform building with a floor space exceeding 1,000 square meters, affecting over 25% of its total enclosures is made.

When you have to deliver the certificate?

Owners wishing to sell their properties should be made available to buyers this title in the time when the operation is performed, while in the case of rent the landlord must give a copy to the tenant. That is, you can not apply for the certificate once it has completed the sale or lease of the property. This certificate is valid for ten years.

Where you may ask?

Those interested in applying for the certificate must go to possess the technical qualifications enabling (architects or engineers). The owner shall be free to choose them.

How much does it cost?

There is a certain price. Each technician performs its proposal. Some websites, such as, allow access to the offers available considering the type of property and area of ​​residence.

What are the penalties?

The law provides penalties ranging from 300 euros to 600 euros in the case of minor offenses, 601 of 1,000 euro for the serious and 1,001 to 6,000 euros for very serious.

Interesting link: